Acolytes, also known as Servants or Traitors, are human enemies encountered in Beneath. They are first encountered in the Caves.
Acolytes are various humans with different types of face masks and hoods. They have dark colored pants and have dark armbands. They do not wear anything on their torso. Additionally, some of them appear to have the Rune symbols of the Elder Gods on their bodies, hinting that they may be part of a cult that worships the Elder Gods.
They are hostile melee enemies that behave very similarly to brawlers in the scenarios. Encountered early in the game, they are of an only slight threat as they only try to attack at close quarters. Acolytes do have more health than zombies, and run and attack faster than them so they need to be noticed. Occasionally they will be equipped with a shield, meaning they are slower but can take more hits until the shield breaks. Acolytes can be knocked down, where you can then take their gear.
Abilities and Powers Edit
As ordinary humans, they don't seem to differ much from the standard brawlers in the Scenarios, as they utilize the same attacks and techniques. Because of this, however, they are still capable of initiating rage mode when their health is low.
- Acolytes are not hard to deal with, just make sure you are not too close to them when they are attacking. Most weapons can hit them outside of their range. Alternatively, you can come near them and hit them in the head quickly and that will kill them.
- While they usually aren't threatening on their own, players should still be wary of their rage mode whenever possible.
- If the Acolytes have a shield, you have 2 options:
- Break the shield: Simply attack the shield until it breaks and you can then access the Acolyte. This is not always an optimal strategy as it can be risky to get too close to the Acolyte or he can attack you. It can also use up a lot of your weapon's durability.
- Attack around the shield: Here you avoid the shield and attack the Acolytes directly. You can have a sharp bladed weapon and cut the Acolyte across his head over the shield. You can also strafe him and hit him. Lastly, you can charge him and go up to him, and swing your weapon right through his shield. This last way is not recommended as he can hit you.
- Due to the Runic symbols on the Acolytes' bodies, the Acolytes are commonly called cultists.
- The Acolytes are possibly workers or soldiers from the the facility who have defected and turned to the side of the monsters to avoid being killed by the Elder Gods.
- It is unknown why other Beneath creatures do not attack the Acolytes, but they attack players, even though both are humanoid.
- Following the release of Beneath, a lone Acolyte can be found carving Rune symbols into a wall with a hammer and chisel in Pirate Cove.
- Acolytes are the only enemies that do not drop energy.
| Enemies in Beneath
|Standard||Acolyte • Bore Worm • Charger • Crystal Crab • Crystal Entity • Floating Head • Giant Mage • Golden Boxer • Gremlin • Hydra • Interceptor • Leaper • Minion • Observer • Pursuer • Skeleton • Statue • Teleporter • Zombie|
|Shard Lords||Beast • Centurion • Crawler • Deceiver • Golem • Pyro|
|Elder Gods||The Necromancer • The Aberration • The Trickster • The End|